On Wednesday May 26th I ran to Walmart to grab a few things while Grace was at dance. As I was putting Garett in the cart, he was throwing a tantrum. (that's his new thing....screaming, crying, hitting, every time he's mad. It's lovely.) Well I figured I was only going to be there for 15 minutes so I just stuck him in the back of the cart and made him sit. He was doing a good job staying down until we were in the produce department. As I was walking by the salad some lady urgently told me I had dropped something. Picture this in slow motion..... Garett standing, me slowly stopping the cart and turning around, Garett flipping over the back of the cart, hitting his head on the bottom of the cart, then landing on the ground.... I quickly turned around and scooped him up. He started screaming and the blood started coming. Every Walmart employee within 50 feet came running and they escorted me to customer service, handing me paper towels as we went. When we got to customer service I immediately asked where the Instacare was and wanted to go. They made me wait while they found their first aid kit, gave me a cold compress, asked me if I wanted a band aid, etc.... All I wanted to do was get my poor kid to the Dr., but then they made me wait for the manager to come over. When she finally got there she made me fill out a form. I was just thinking, "are you kidding me? My kid has blood running down his face, behind his ear and all over his shirt, and you're making me fill out a form?" When I was finally done we headed off to the Instacare which luckily was just in the next parking lot over from Walmart. It was empty when I got there and they got me right in. The nurses and receptionist were so sweet! I was feeling like a pretty horrible mom by this point. They were reassuring me that this happens all the time. When the Dr came in he asked what happened. I told him and he gave me the look..... You know, the one. The "I can't believe you actually put your child in the back of the cart" look, also known and the "you're a horrible mom look". I felt pretty sheepish, but all I cared about was getting my poor guy stitched up. It was awful strapping him into his straight jacket and holding his head still. He screamed a very angry scream the entire time he was stitched up. When we were finally done they gave him a sucker and he perked right up. My little guy rebounds quickly. We were done with the whole ordeal in about 30 minutes from cart to stitches, so we headed off to finish the rest of our day. My friend Tomie picked Grace up from dance and I met them at our Primary meeting at the park. Garett got right down and played the entire time, as if nothing had happened. I went home and felt completely drained the rest of the day. I still feel bad knowing I could have prevented his fall, but I am grateful that it worked out so well that I have a very resilient boy!
Here he is three stitches later.
2 comments:
Oh man, that poor kid! I've thought of that so many times since it happened because I STILL have been putting Logan in the back of the cart! It doesn't make you a bad mom, it makes you a normal mom!
Yikes! I'm glad Kyler doesn't like sitting in the back of the cart. He looks like Todd in that last pic.
Post a Comment