Monday, January 21, 2008

Restaurants

Singapore has sooo many restaurants. From what I can tell they have three different levels of restaurants. At least this is the way I keep track of them. There are the "nice restaurants" where you have the server, expensive food, etc. Then there are the "food courts" which I think is my new favorite, the food is cheap, but still sanitary. And then there are the Hawker centers. It seems there is one in about every neighborhood, the food is cheap cheap and it scares me a little. I haven't eaten at one yet, though Ben does everday for lunch. We have eaten out at quite a few restaurants since we've been here, but this week I have actually sat down, planned a menu and went grocery shopping. So hopefully we'll go back to the routine of saving restaurants for special occasions, or ultimate laziness. The first few nights we were here we went out. Grace was completely exhausted and still getting over the jet lag and fell asleep in the restaurant. This would NEVER happen normally, but here is the proof. I since have made Ben come home early from work if he wants to eat out so we don't have a holy terror on our hands and then the break down in the middle of the restaurant anymore.
There is a section of town called Clark Quay(pronounce Key). This is a crazy place with restaurants lined up in rows. The restaurants really compete to get the customers to come to their establishment, so as you can imagine this results in fierce competition of who can come up with the wildest theme. Here is one restaurant that thought of the brilliant idea of serving dinner on an operating table. Along with that you can sit in a wheelchair and sip your drink out of an IV dripline. We didn't actually eat there, but I just had to take a picture.
This restaurant, The Forbidden City, just peaks the curiosity enough to wonder what's so forbidden if you're brave enough to walk the corridor of guards watching over you.
There were many other restaurants "tempting" you to do various other things with their names, places I myself wouldn't dare venture. There are also the basics like Hooters, Irish pubs, Jumbo Seafood, and such. It is amazing how many restaurants thrive here, and they are all busy!
This is one of the places we went. They have all the fish on the menu swimming around in these tanks and when you order one they pull it out, whack it, and then cook it up. Nice and Fresh. Grace loves seeing the FISHIES! (which she loudly exlaims everytime she sees one)
This is Ben's fish that he ordered. So considerate of them to leave the head on!
I played it safe and order Kung Po Chicken, which was delicious. Grace loves the rice here and now has to try our chopsticks everytime we eat out. She hasn't mastered the getting the food to the mouth part, but she thinks it's fun to try.
The other cool part about this restaurant is that it is along the river and hangs out over the water. It was fun to watch the little boats go up and down and it was just a beautiful setting.

4 comments:

Jenny C said...

you're making me hungry!! Miss you, but looks like you are having a great time!!

Unknown said...

Owie, you look like you're having so much fun. I was amazed you were in shorts, we're totally have a blizzard here today! :) Thought you'd like that. Anyways, I'm glad you're doing well, and I love reading about all your adventures.

PS, I honestly can't believe how much you look like Heather. You look almost exactly like I remember her growing up. :) You're both beautiful!

Love,
Sassy Pants

Mindy said...

Looks like you are having such a great time! I feel your pain with the appliances--you just can't beat an American washer and drier--and we blew up my sewing machine and a computer in England. Ouch!

I'll be interested in hearing how your grocery shopping went. I hope you found what you were looking for!

Anonymous said...

I love that hospital themed restaurant! That's hilarious. Jack and I would be in big trouble there since we eat out so much and I hate fish! Good job actually going grocery shopping. I've actually been pretty good at cooking lately, too. It makes me feel like such a good wife!