Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's Been a Disaster of a Week!

Last week Grace was sick with a fever for a few days, she had a runny nose and a cough. I thought it was just a bad cold, so when the fever broke on Friday we thought she was okay and would get over the stuffy nose. So we went to the Science museum on Saturday and church on Sunday. Sunday I noticed some bumps on her feet, but thought that her shoes were rubbing them funny, but had a nagging thought. Around our apartment in the kids area are big signs warning of hand foot and mouth disease(HFMD). So that thought in the back of my mind was, hmm I wonder what it looks like, I wonder if Grace has that. Well, I looked on line and it said that there is no treatment for it so I decided not to take her to the Dr...... Until Monday while I was on the phone with Heather, Grace decided to rummage through my drawer and found a little baggy I hadn't put away properly with some sleeping pills in it. Don't worry, I freaked out and thought I was the worst Mom in the world and rushed her downstairs to meet my friend and we ran over to the Dr. Turns out she only ingested about 1/4 of the pill and would be fine. But she was tired/hyper/acting drunk the rest of the day. I was exhausted. Plus it turns out that she did have a mild form of HFMD. Well, Tuesday my friend and I decided to go to Institute and the RS Lunch. Someone volunteered to take us in their car so I thought, "great!". Well, not great. Apparantly her little girl is on steroids and very fragile and not supposed to be around anyone sick. (mind you I still did not realize how paranoid everyon is about HFMD, the Dr. didn't really act like it was a big deal) So when we get to lunch one of the ladies asks me about it and I told her that Grace did have a mild form of it and the lady that gave me a ride starts to freak out and is almost in tears. Wow, I felt really dumb and volunteered to clean her car. She ended up leaving the lunch early and I think I apologized a hundred time. So this morning I get an email that is sent to everyon in the ward saying that, "there is a confirmed case of HFMD, the parent did bring their child to church last week, and they will be disinfecting all the toys." Now I feel like the worst parent in the world. I had no idea I could infect all the kids. Apparantly a few years ago the Singapore Government sent out a notice that all cases of HFMD needs to be publicly reported so people can be warned. I feel like there is a huge billboard of my face splashed up for everyone to read, "BAD PARENT- their kid infects others..." Needless to say we won't be going to church this week, just so we don't get accused of infecting more kids. On top of that Ben has been sick and I have an eye infection. So we've been to the Dr's 3 times, and we were supposed to have some global Health Insurance, but now we don't so we have to submit everything out of network with our insurance back in Utah. What a mess!

8 comments:

emily mcd said...

How awful! I'm so sorry Owie! I think you are a fantastic parent and Grace is lucky to have you. I'm sorry that it was such a crummy week though. I hope you all get feeling well and that this next week is a million times better!

Natalie Wright said...

Oh dear. We still love you! It's hard enough to be the new girl- I am so sorry! Things will get better. Just remember the people of Singapore think Grace is a movie star! We are still envious you are there. Hey - I would take HFMD any day for a trip to Singapore!

Natalie

Julie said...

It's not a fun thing when you have sick kids, then to top it off with everything else! I KNOW you are a great mom, it's just a new culture and a new sickness. Grace still loves you and that's all that matters, right?

The Cowleys said...

Wow, sounds like you have had an eventful week. I hope you all regain your health soon!

Unknown said...

Oh Owie! I'm so sorry. I hope you all get feeling better soon. Hopefully people are understanding of you though, since you haven't been there long. Don't feel like a bad mom, I'm sure Grace thinks you're the best!

Jessica said...

Im so sorry!!! YOU ARE NOT THE WORST MOM IN THE WORLD!! You are an amazing mom---I agree with all the other comments--Grace is a lucky girl to have such great parents! We miss ya!

Unknown said...

Oh Aly, I'm so sorry. I know your a wonderful mom and I know that things will get better. Hang in there and know that we are thinking and praying for you.

Tiffany Dewey

Jenny C said...

Alyson...I am so sorry cause it's not funny, but I laughed so hard. You are the BEST mom. Love you miss you!