Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Food

Grocery Shopping has been quite the experience here. They have very selected items depending on where you shop, and a lot of things are very pricey. I have been able to find just about everything I've wanted and have learned just to pay for the luxuries of food I'm used to. I do have to say that since Singapore doesn't produce hardly any food, most of the prices are pretty reasonable. And the Produce here is fabulous! So delicious.
I've listed the price in US$ since it's easier to compare than in Singapre $.
Milk is sold in 2 liter cartons. Do the conversion to gallons and you're paying about $6.55 for a gallon of milk. And it doesn't even taste as good as US milk. A lot of people here buy boxed milk that's radiated so it has a long shelf life and is a ton cheaper. Many people like it but I think it's disgusting!
This carton of OJ was $5.74
The Strawberries $6.10
Frosted Mini Wheats $5.49- but a box of Cheerios is $7.18
The bread was $2.15 but it's about half the size of a loaf in the US. They do have a Banana Walnut Loaf that is SOOO GOOD as toast! I will definately miss that.
The eggs were $1.50 for 10. They don't sell them in dozens here, and they are all brown, unless you want to pay $4.95 for white ones. (Brown taste the same if not better) Also all the eggs have been radiated so they just sit on the shelf until you buy them. I thought that was a bit strange at first.
Jello is $2.15 a box
Meat is quite expensive. 1 pound of chicken would cost $7.29. They sell all meat here in 100gm portions. 1lb=450gms
The other bad part for me is that I go to the grocery store 3-4 times a week since it's just downstairs. So I'm probably buying more than I would if I went just once a week. But that's how the Asians do it. They buy in small portions and shop a few times a week if not everyday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to buy the UHT (Radiated) Milk when I was on Shetland. After paying for normal milk only to have it go off in three day since it had to travel to the island before it got to the store it was worth getting used to . I don't remember drinking a ton of it but it tasted fine on cereal. Your eggs and bread are actually about the same price as the are here. At least for name brand bread. We pay 3.99 for a full loaf and decent eggs are 2.29. Everything else though seems high.

Anonymous said...

That's nuts! That will be fun to go shopping when you get home! Your blog looks really cute! It's hard to change it at first, but is easier after you do it the first time. Hooray!

Leslie said...

What a fun thing to have documented!!! Sure glad we have more reasonable prices here!!!! We might not be able to afford to eat!

Jessica said...

cute new layout--so springy! (is that a word?)